Humans have four pairs of cavities :
1. Frontal which lies in the forehead region.
2. Maxillary sinus behind cheeks.
3. Ethmoid between the eyes.
4. Sphenoid sinus deep behind the ethmoids.
The 4 pairs of sinuses are often be described as a single unit and termed as "paranasal sinuses", from inside all of them are lining mucus secreting and epithelial cells which takes active part in inhaling and exhaling of the air from the nostrils, their functions are : humidifying and warming inspired air, insulation of surrounding structures (eyes, nerves), increasing voice resonance and as buffers against facial trauma. The sinuses decrease the weight of the skull.
The infection of the sinus occurs when there is a blockage in any sinus ostium, which is caused by the pathogenic viruses, allergies, humid, bacteria or fungus. Sinusitis is one of the most common condition that can harm people throughout their lives, it is a research based myth that more than 30 million adults of the world have sinus.
Causes Of Sinusitis Infection :
When anything interfere in between the nasal passages, there is a difficulty in passing and inhaling the air easily because the tissue of the effected lining swallowed and there is no way to pass that air easily so it irritate the patients a lot, for example with common colds, allergies, and tissue irritants such as OTC nasal sprays, cocaine, and cigarette smoke.
Types Of Sinusitis :
1. Acute sinus infection ( it usually has less than thirty days duration)
2. Sub-acute sinus infection ( over 1 month and less than 3 month )
3. Chronic sinus infections ( greater than 3 months )
Symptoms Of Sinus :
4. Cloudy, dis colored drainage.
5. Nasal stiffness.
6. Sore throat.
7. Tearing eyes.
Diagnosis Of Sinus :
Sinus can be easily diagnosed by MRI and CT scan, the physical appearances that a person can diagnose at home are:
1. Pus like drainage from nose
2. Swelling of nose
3. Redness of nasals and nose linings
4. Swelling in cheeks and eyes
6. Puffy or teary eyes during influenza or sinus
Treatment Of Sinus Infection :
No antibiotics are required, certain types of nasal drops are given along with the fever and flu or pain medications, the best allergy handlers are zyrtec and larinex, rest during sinus is prescribed by doctors and specialists, infected person should avoiding dusty places,hay fevers and colds, such as cold drinks, chill water, ice, air Conditioner and place of the home where the carpet lies, these are things must be avoided strictly because they may lead to a severe allergy.