Schizophrenia is also called split personality disorder, it is a chronic, severe, debilitating mental illness that affects nearly 1% of the population in which more than 2 million people in the United States are affected by it alone, it effects majority of men as compared to women around the world, it is characterized within an individual’s social, behavioral and thoughts problems, no doubt its an psychotic problem. The problem of thinking which is attached with schizophrenia is described as psychosis, in that the person's thinking is completely out of touch means the person could not handle that with reality at times, for example they might hear several voices and may feel that a bug is crawling on their skin when there is nothing actually, they may see the dead persons and they may feel many things which a normal person does not trust at all, children of around 5-6 years of age or above may have this disorder, it is truly not a hereditary disease in fact.
Types of Schizophrenia :
There are different types of Schizophrenia, some of them are:
1. Residual Schizophrenia: In this type, the person having this disorder would have only negative symptoms (such the symptoms are characterized by a decrease in function, such as withdrawal, disinterest, and not speaking).
2. Undifferentiated Schizophrenia: episodic Schizophrenia.
3. Catatonic Schizophrenia: difficulties in movements , running and walking.
4. Paranoid Schizophrenia: may hear auditory sensations and may be fear full of some selected delusions.
5. Disorganized Schizophrenia: problems in speaking and language disorders.
Causes of Schizophrenia:
1. It is the result of a complex group of genetic, psychological, and environmental factors.
3. Circumstances of child hood
4. Life circumstances
5. If someone losses his/ her parent at early age, weak family background or poverty, emotional, sexual, or physical abuse, physical or emotional neglect and insecure attachment have been associated with the development of this illness.
Symptoms of Schizophrenia :
1. Catatonic behaviors.
2. Disorganized speech.
4. Belief in the basis which are not real.
5. Lack of motivation.
6. Lack of speech.
7. Inhibition of facial expressions.
Diagnosis of Schizophrenia :
5. Bizarre behavior.
6. Dissociative identity disorder.
7. Mental illness.
8. Committing suicide or trying to do several times.
9. Intake of drugs in huge amount.
Treatments of Schizophrenia :
Schizophrenia can be treated by following ways :
1. Medications that provide some sort of relief and which helps in the betterment of sufferer includes olanzapine (Zyprexa), risperidone (Risperdal), quetiapine (Seroquel), ziprasidone (Geodon), aripiprazole (Abilify), paliperidone (Invega) and asenapine (Saphis).
2. Mood stabilizer medicines are also used.
3. Lithium is effective in treating schizophrenia and is good for depression and behavioral disorders.
4. Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) is very effective in treating the patients of Schizophrenia.
5. Counseling can be done from a expert psychologist or counselors.
6. Family psycho-education.
7. Assertive community treatment (ACT).
8. Substance abuse treatment.
9. Psychosocial treatments.
10. Cognitive behavioral therapy also abbreviated as ( CBT ).